What information will TransVault PST Insight give me?
Whether stored on network shares, local hard disks or on removable drives, TransVault PST Insight makes a detailed inventory of your enterprise-wide PST estate that includes:
- PST custodian/owner identification (based on an adjustable percentage message recipient analysis and/or location path)
- Content profile – how many messages, calendar items, tasks, message classes
- Age profile – on a per PST or scanned sample basis
- Number of messages
- Date last updated
- Message classes
- Whether any shortcuts to archived emails exist (and if so, how many)
This information can be further analyzed and reported on according to areas of concern:
- Are PSTs in places they shouldn’t be (e.g. on removable media)?
- What PST files are dormant?
- Are there items older than the corporate retention policy?
- Is evidence relevant to an eDiscovery exercise out there?
Using this information organizations can devise appropriate policies to manage and/or migrate PST contents in line with business, operational and compliance needs.
Note that TransVault PST Insight is delivered with a set of purpose-built reports as well as a comprehensive set of SQL views which can be used to produce extensive, flexible reporting as required.
In-built reports include a Chain-of-Custody report of all actions carried out, a Policy Compliance Status report that shows the amount of data compliant (and non-compliant) with each your goal policies, an Activity Report which shows progress of all command activity and an Executive Summary Report of all PSTs discovered which includes a profile of age, message class, attachment type and how PSTs compare with company policies overall. Any corrupted items can also be flagged.
How does TransVault Insight compare with other PST migration solutions?
There are many factors that set TransVault PST Insight apart from other PST migration solutions:
- Enterprise Scalability. TransVault PST Insight was developed from the ground up to meet the PST migration and management needs of the largest enterprises. See also response to Q8 which describes the TransVault PST Insight architecture.
- Unparalelled Visibility. – Whether on file servers, local disks, office-based systems or roving laptops, TransVault PST Insight gives organizations a total, overall view of their PST content with the ability to drill down on areas of interest.
- Content-level – not just File-Level – Management. Rather than working with PST files at the ‘file level’, Insight gives organizations granular, content-level control over their PST files. For example, you can:
- Elect to migrate only those items that are subject to the organization’s retention policy
- Exclude junk and deleted folders
- Identify duplicates and only copy one instance of a duplicate across the network
This capability has the benefit of reducing both storage and network impact.
- Manage ‘In Place’ Option. – It’s not always convenient, practical or politically acceptable to remove PST files. Insight gives the option to manage PST contents without moving them. For example, you can create a copy of specific items that are subject to an investigation, without changing the PST file as far as the end user is concerned. You can also delete ‘in place’ items that fall outside your company’s retention policies.
- Support for Virtually any Onsite or Hosted Archive – Organizations using TransVault PST Insight to migrate their PSTs have the option to move data into virtually any third-party archive service (onsite or hosted) or a Microsoft archive including Exchange personal archives and Office 365. You can also prepare PSTs for ingestion using Microsoft’s Drive Shipping or Azure upload service.
- Shortcut Support – TransVault PST Insight detects and manages any shortcuts to archived emails that may have been put into PSTs. This includes the ability to ‘re-hydrate’ shortcuts from the original archive in the event that an organization chooses to migrate from a third-party archive to a service that does not work using shortcuts, such as Microsoft Exchange or Office 365.
- Assurance – PST Insight lets you monitor every aspect of your PST estate and ongoing management activity. For example, you can track the progress of your policy-based enforcement and produce reports to give you peace-of-mind that your PSTs are under control.
What if some of our PSTs contain shortcuts to emails in our existing central archive?
TransVault PST Insight is able to detect and report on shortcuts, giving you the option to take a number of different desired actions. This might include:
- Deleting any shortcuts in PSTs to avoid confusion
- Updating the central archive and optionally putting a shortcut back in the users’ Outlook view
- Re-hydrating the shortcut from the existing central archive and putting the complete item into a new archive system such as Microsoft Exchange personal archives or Office 365.
How quickly can TransVault PST Insight move my PSTs?
TransVault PST Insight’s ability to perform selective migrations directly from the source to target, and de-duplicate content ‘on the fly’ significantly reduces traffic overheads.
In one project a customer was able to pre-cull and de-duplicate PST contents for ingestion into an eDiscovery platform. As a consequence, they reduced the amount they had to ‘pull across’ the network by 90% – massively reducing the impact on the network and speeding up eDiscovery times.
Also note that TransVault PST Insight includes TransVault CloudStream, a service which combines the latest Microsoft ingestion technologies with sophisticated algorithms, such as traffic flow analysis, to guarantee unrivalled ingestion speeds directly into Office 365.
Where available, TransVault PST Insight can use Microsoft Azure ExpressRoute to optimise throughput even more.