Migrating Critical Healthcare Content Quickly and Transparently from EAS to Enterprise Vault Using TransVault Migrator
An explosion of email content, the need to securely retain healthcare data for up to 30 years, maintain patient confidentiality, and lower healthcare costs are all on the agenda at Universitair Ziekenhuis (UZ) Brussel.
The Belgian university hospital was struggling to effectively archive Exchange email content using the incumbent Autonomy Enterprise Archive Solution (now a Capax product)— primarily owing to issues concerning support.
A switch to Enterprise Vault™ made all the difference: a comprehensive, best-in-class solution that enables the healthcare provider to manage risk across the information and messaging life cycle, lower the total cost of ownership, and overcome the challenges of ensuring the security and availability of its messaging systems and confidential patient information.
The Enterprise Vault deployment and migration from Zantaz EAS to Enterprise Vault was masterminded and undertaken by the Veritas Platinum Partner Neoria.
The migration of 650 users took place overnight (UZ Brussel has a total of 4,000 mailboxes) using the TransVault Migrator for Enterprise Vault solution.
Care for more than 400,000 patients annually
UZ Brussel’s has a powerful mission statement: “Your care is our care”. This 729-bed Belgian hospital admits more than 25,000 patients annually and treats 400,000 outpatients. Care is the watchword of the university hospital.
The same motto could be applied to the relationship with Veritas. UZ Brussel views Veritas as a thought leader in storage management: a best-in-class vendor who cares about UZ Brussel’s data. Specifically, an integrated Veritas content archiving solution is helping UZ Brussel to store and manage Exchange 2010 email information across the organization.
This ultimately prevents the loss of healthcare data without impacting clinical workflows, lowers costs, and ensures UZ Brussel meets national and European Union compliance needs, as well as privacy law requirements.
- Recognized as a leader in email and enterprise information archiving for 9 consecutive years
- Proven platform used by over 38 million users worldwide, in more than 25,000 companies of all sizes
- Trusted thought leader
Solutions at a Glance:
- Securely archive email content, including confidential patient data
- Transparently migrate 4000 mailboxes to Enterprise Vault
- Lower cost of managing email
- Take control of email growth
- Veritas Enterprise Vault™ 10
- TransVault Migrator for Enterprise Vault
- Uptime Group (www.uptimegroup.be)
- End users: 4000
- Storage: NetApp
- Data: 500GB migrated
Business Value and Technical Benefits:
- Migrated 650 mailboxes (out of 4,000 users) from EAS to Enterprise Vault, quickly, transparently, and securely
- Completed migration overnight, ensuring accurate audit of healthcare data transfer and solid chain-of-custody
- Lowered storage, software, and maintenance costs
- Automated mailbox management, freeing users from size restrictions
- Optimized storage consumption to minimize costs
- Eliminated need for personal storage files
Autonomy solution outclassed
It didn’t used to be this way. UZ Brussel originally deployed the Autonomy Enterprise Archive Solution (formerly ZANTAZ EAS).
However, a series of complex takeovers—Zantaz was acquired by Autonomy, who in turn were acquired by HP in 2011—meant that the quality of support for the technology was not what it should have been. Eric Pattyn, infrastructure manager, at UZ Brussel picks up the story. “It was a bumpy ride. The support for the archive exchange mailboxes was not very responsive. The partner we were working with disappeared during one of the mergers. And we always had the sense that Zantaz was more appropriate for very large deployments, not a relatively small deployment like our hospital environment.”
Pattyn and his team turned to Veritas. “Without effective messaging management, the hospital could potentially be vulnerable to financial and litigation risks as well as public relations damage. Veritas Enterprise Vault™ gives the hospital a comprehensive message management platform—one that mitigates these risks as well as reducing storage and administrative costs.